Sunday, February 10, 2008

Question 7

Has this book changed the way you eat? According to Pollan, the amount of disposable income Americans spend on food is down to 1/5 suggesting “that there are many of us who could afford to spend more on food if we chose to.” He asks, “Is the unwillingness to pay more for food really a matter of affordability or priority?” p. 243

In the end, is what we put into our bodies as important to us as it should be and should we be more willing to sacrifice to change our food habits?

2 comments:

Loren said...

I'm working on this. The book certainly raised my consciousness. There is actually a dairy in Utah called Winder Dairy that I am going to go check out. They do dairy, meats , and produce, and even deliver to your home once a week. They claim to be organic, etc., so I think I will go check out what that means. I think I probably spend a larger percentage of my income on food than Pollan says, but I think if I really thought it was making a difference I could spend a little more. I've thought a lot, though, about how reading this book should affect what I am eating.

Marci said...

I'm working on this too. It feels like a time issue to me. I'm so frantic during the week (and the weekend for that matter) that I barely have the time to eat, let alone figure out how I could find food from a better source. I'm lucky to have a ride from our neighbor to the grocery store, where I can pick everything up at one time. I know deep down that it is the small, individual choices that matter. But finding the time to create a new way of living seems like such a hassle. I'm just thrilled to get all of my servings of fruits and veggies in each day. :)